Sunday, January 5, 2020

Welcome to the New (Walking) Year

January 1, 2020

For the past almost two years, I've participated in the 365 Mile Challenge. My first year, when I joined in March, 2018, I walked 400 miles, which was astonishing to me. In 2019, I started off strong,  walking every day until the end of March, when the flu knocked me off my feet. After five days off, my walking was sporadic, but I finally got it together and managed to end the year with 500.13 miles, a little short of my original goal of 730 miles, which is called a double. I thought I would feel bad about falling so short of my original goal, but instead I was pleased that I managed to get myself back on the road. When the opportunity came to sign up to participate in the 2020 challenge, I signed up the first day I could.  And I took my first walk today - I'm back!

Why join something such as the 365 Mile Challenge? At the level I joined, it wasn't free, but I have felt it was worth it. My purchase has made the materials we receive available, for example, the tracking sheets which keep me on track - literally. I can see my journey, and I can see when I haven't ventured out. The community on Facebook is amazing; very encouraging, it's nice to see pictures of places I've never been to, and overall a nice group of women to be involved with.

So - today's walk. I'm starting with a regular walk, only this time we did it in reverse. I should mention that my most consistent walking partner is my husband - W. He can get me out the door when I might not want to, and he's always been there as my main support. Anyway, we waited until later in the afternoon because we had been dismantling the holidays, cleaning up, and rearranging furniture. It had been pretty nice in the morning, but of course it was starting to rain as we left the house for the 2.6 mile walk. At one point, it was coming down pretty good, so I was glad for my rain jacket. It began to lighten up, because walking into a westerly blowing rain in your face has the potential to be not as much fun as it could be. When we got home, I checked the app on my phone I've been using to track for two years, and it was backwards - it got the mileage right, but switched my moving time with my stopped time, which completely messed up my pace! I deleted the app in the hopes of startling it into compliance, but instead I lost all of my data from the last two years. Oh well - moving forward!


2.6/365

January 5, 2020

I've kept up the walking streak, so it's 5 days in a row. The weather has been a mixed bag; rain, wind, sort-of-sun, chilly wind. So far, all of my miles have been in the neighborhood right from the front door, so it's time to venture out. Do I love doing the 365 Mile Challenge 2020? That would be an unequivocal YES!

12.51/365





No comments:

Post a Comment

       Welcome to my introduction of the Olympic National Park. Facts first - Olympic National Park is located on the Olympic Peninsula in W...